Check out this great infographic to learn facts about hearing loss and get valuable tips for protecting your hearing.
Premier Safety, the smart choice for safety and environmental solutions, has put together a great infographic demonstrating tips every employee should take when it comes to protecting their hearing in the workplace.
Consider these staggering statistics about hearing loss, learn more about how to prevent hearing loss, and then scroll down to access this infographic to share online and use in your workplace.
FACTS ABOUT HEARING LOSS
- About 50 million Americans experience some form of hearing loss.
- Over 12% of children in the United States between the ages of 6 and 18 show symptoms of hearing loss caused by excessive noise - possibly from extended headphone usage.
- 30 million workers in this country are exposed to dangerous levels of noise at their jobs.
- Hearing Loss is the second-most common health-issue across the globe.
- About 50% of people older than 75 have experienced difficulty hearing.
- 80% of people who have hearing loss can be treated successfully with hearing aids.
- 2X the presence of any type of hearing loss makes a person twice as likely to develop dementia, according to studies.
- Prolonged exposure to sounds that measure 85 decibels and higher can damage your hearing.
TIPS FOR PROTECTING YOUR HEARING
- Keep your distance from the sources of loud noises if you can.
- If you can’t avoid loud noises, wear earplugs or other protective gear.
- Earplugs should be made of foam or other material that will fit snugly within the ear canal.
- When listening to music, use over-the-ear headphones rather than those that go directly in your ears.
- Always set your music or television at a reasonable volume, no matter how you listen to it.
- Look for noise ratings on the labels of consumer products such as personal music players, hair dryers and kitchen appliances.
- If you aren’t able to avoid loud sounds, take periodic breaks to give your hearing a rest.